Top 7 Nugget Ice Makers in 2023 - Make Sonic Style Ice at Home
Nugget Ice Makers and Nugget ice a.k.a. sonic/ pellet ice has become one of the most popular types of ice in the last couple of years.
The reason for this spike in popularity is pretty obvious! They are super soft and chewy, all the while providing the same cooling qualities as cubed/solid ice.
In my opinion these are the best at home nugget ice makers of 2023 and it goes like this...
Here are the top nugget ice makers of 2023
GE Profile Opal 2.0 Nugget Ice Maker
It’s no secret that the GE Profile Opal nugget ice maker made by General Electronics (GE) is one of the most popular countertop nugget ice makers currently available. The GE Opal Nugget Ice Maker is a countertop ice machine that produces soft, chewable nugget ice. It is perfect for those who love the taste and texture of sonic ice but don’t want to spend the money on a full-sized ice maker.
- Easy to use
- Lots of water storage (no need to refill it often)
- Has it's own cleaning cycle
- Control via Wifi
- High quality build materials
- Top end design
- Generates significant amounts of heat
- Not the lowest cost option
Frigidaire EFIC235-AMZ Countertop Crunchy Chewable Nugget Ice Maker
At only 17 inches wide, this little nugget ice maker produces over 40lbs of ice a day and comes in at a lower price point that most competitors, there is a lot to like about the Frigidaire EFIC235-AMZ. Having said that, it is relatively loud and the finish doesn't feel quite as premium as some stainless steel competitors, we have seen this ice machine produce enough nugget ice to support a medium sized restaurant (we literally got served up nugget ice made by this machine in Mexico at this great little restaurant)!
- Creates ice very fast (15 minutes)
- Large water reservoir
- Relatively low price point
- Easy to clean and set up
- Relatively loud
- Some users have commented on a life span of <2 years (Source: Amazon reviews)
KBice Self Dispensing Countertop Nugget Ice Maker
There are very few nugget ice makers within this price bracket that also produce restaurant-level Sonic-style nugget ice but the KBice does a great job. With a production capacity of 30lbs a day, it is more than enough for most homes.
- Self dispense feature is super practical
- Simple installation
- High-end design
- Super easy to use
- Has it's own cleaning function
- Relatively loud
- Awkward to refill
- Air vents on the left side require a lot of space. You need 12 inches of clearance!
CROWNFUL Nugget Ice Maker
It’s very quiet for a nugget ice maker, plus it’s easy to use, clean, and maintain with its simple interface. This nugget ice maker sits at the cheaper end of the market and is well worth considering as an option if you are looking for a stainless steel design but don't have $500 to spend.
- Both a water tank and water line feature
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Very quiet (for a nugget ice maker)
- Very solid build
- Softness of the ice isn't always consistent
- You cannot put a water filter on the line and hard water is likely to cause maintenance issues over time
Northair Countertop Nugget Ice Maker
The Northair nugget ice maker is a very solid ice machine that creates ice incredibly fast (while keeping noise production low). With its moderate price, it’s definitely an interesting nugget ice maker worth considering if you’re on a budget. On this page, we will take a look at the specs as well as look at the pro’s and cons.
- Fast ice production
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Great customer service
- Great price-quality ratio
- Storage is temperature is variable
- Can leak water
Newair Nugget Countertop Ice Maker
The NewAir nugget ice is smaller than a sugar cube, and very nice and soft when chewed fresh. The front light looks great and given its competitive price point, it has a relatively premium finish. The ice will melt if left in the bin so be prepared you will need freezer space.
- Fast ice production (within 10 - 15 minutes for initial ice production and 30 minutes for a cup of ice)
- Value - it is competitively priced
- Well designed water recycling system
- Square ice that sticks and changes texture when moved to storage in the freezer
Scotsman HID525A-1 Meridian Nugget Ice & Water Dispenser
The Scotsman HID525A-1 Nugget ice maker can make an incredible 500 pounds of ice per day. It scores highly on quality and is the closest home machine to a professional grade ice maker. All of this comes at a premium and is one of the most expensive nugget ice makers on the market.
- High volume of ice (500lbs a day)
- Appliance quality
- Infra red dispense feature
- Expensive (top end of the market)
- Waterline needs replacing on a regular basis